Monday, April 03, 2006

Daylight Saving Time

Thanks to Daylight Saving Time, we all lost an hour this past weekend - which sucked because it meant that I had one less hour to party like a rockstar. In my world, rockstars watch TV and eat Cheetos.

A quick history lesson: Daylight Saving Time was first instituted in the U.S. during World War I in order to save energy for war production, and once again during WWII. In 1966, the Federal Uniform Time Act made Daylight Saving Time permanent. Since then, daylight saving has been adjusted in response to various energy crises - it was extended in 1974 and 1975 in response to the 1973 OPEC oil embargo - and beginning March 11, 2007, it will be extended five weeks as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 - because as President Bush stated in his State of the Union address - we're addicted to oil.

Now I don't claim to be a problem solving expert - but I'm going out on a limb to declare that changing the time is a pretty damn lazy way of solving problems. But, I have to give the government credit for having brass balls because they're not afraid to deal with problems by bending the rules - even if the rule happens to be a fundamental law that governs the universe - you know, the one states that you CAN'T CHANGE TIME.

Okay, so we're addicted to oil and we need to save more energy. Well I'm addicted to alcohol and sometimes I can't make it to work on time. Maybe I should initiate Binge-Drinking Saving Time - which mandates that work starts 4 hours later if I was trashed the previous night. Or how about Male-Endurance Saving Time - which states that 5 minutes of sex is equivalent to 1 hour. So to all you ladies out there - no more complaining.

2 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

I'm with you, brother!

Let's lazily save time on everything!

And let's roll the clock back on video games and watching sports!

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've emailed my legislators!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home